Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Oh for the love of . . .

I have three other posts in the editing process, but I need to sound off on this now, because it makes me so angry.

Cankles. Aka: fat, swollen, or otherwise unshapely ankles. They are apparently the new thing women have to worry about. As though it's not enough that the entire rest of our bodies is considered fair game for scrutiny by everyone ever on the face of the earth. Now I have to worry about the fact that I have muscular lower calves, which get swollen when I stand for eight hours a day in heels. Not to mention the fact that, having seen clips of news reports on this oh-so-important subject, I google-imaged cankles, and I honestly can't tell you what what one looks like in real life. It's a made-up thing that people can bandy at someone to put her down.

So, just to recap, all women are supposed to worry desperately about being perfectly beautiful all the time, because otherwise no one will love you. Even if the part of the body you're obsessing over isn't something you can actually do anything about unless you're heavy enough to have more important serious health issues to worry about. And once you acheive this unattainable beauty, you're just supposed to take the honking and cat-calling and constantly being hit on and uncomfortable looks from creepy people because isn't that why you're beautiful after all?

Seriously, people: Cankles?

Dear fad-loving media and people who think ankle shape determines worthiness as a human being: FUCK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment