Wednesday, August 19, 2009

By Way of Introduction, Part II: Feminism

I've been writing and deleting this post for over a week now, trying to say everything I want to have as groundwork for whatever I write on this subject. I realized today that they are all apologia for either offending someone or my own ignorance. But you know what? That goes against the whole point of this topic.

If you're offended by anything I say, don't read it. There are millions of other websites out there. If you disagree with me, I might be up for conversation in comments, or I might not. It depends largely on what's going on in my real life, and how much effort I have to put forth. Because I'm lazy and I don't actually care what you think unless it educates one or both of us.

I am not a woman's studies major, or anything vaguely resembling it. I am, however, female, and was raised by strong women. I don't like it when I get treated poorly, or see other women treated poorly, because of genitalia. Which it really what it comes down to. Last I checked, my brain resided in my head, not my pants. And my brain has absorbed an awful lot of information via the printed word. My library card is one of my best friends (although we're on the outs at the moment, as I am embarrassed to admit that I owe a late fine. I feel like they judge me when I return my books in an untimely manner. Paying late fines is like a walk of shame), and I've read quite a few books on feminism. If I go off half-cocked about something, and you know it, feel free to point me in the direction of an author or book that will educate me.

If our opinions on something simply differ though: tough.

1 comment: