Thursday, September 10, 2009

In Pursuit of Perfection

There are a lot of foods I’m horribly fond of, but don’t make myself. Oddly, most of these are things that I consider the pinnacle of their food type. Cinnamon rolls, for one, or flan. Only in the past few years have I unlocked the joy of guacamole (the secret: mash the avocados with your favorite salsa. Add Tabasco to taste. Do not salt, as the chips will provide that). But my second-favorite dip is easily hummus. Which ought to be easy to make. To whit, your basic hummus recipe:

Chickpeas
Tahini (sesame paste)
Garlic
Olive oil
Juice of a lemon
Cumin
Salt and pepper

Combine in blender, at varying ratios, until paste is achieved. Spread on stuff, or scoop up with pita.

The problem is, it never comes out quite right. I’ve tried a bunch of different combos, and it never tastes as good as store-bought. It’s flat, or there’s too much tahini (why does this stuff only come in big jars?), or the raw garlic is overpowering.

In my latest attempt, I roasted my garlic in the olive oil, then used that. It was not bad, but that would be one of the “flat” experiences. It wasn’t bad. It wasn’t a “don’t come near me for three days” experience of the too much raw garlic time. But it was too legumy. If that can be said of the paste of a legume. It reminded me of unsalted organic peanut butter (yuck!). I think I need at least some raw garlic. And possibly more citrus. Maybe some of the lemon zest as well as the juice? And I’m definitely missing a spice.

So this is my working theory for next time:

1 can chickpeas, drained
1 clove raw garlic
1 clove garlic roasted in ¼ cup olive oil
Juice of one lemon
¼ to ½ teaspoon of lemon zest
¼ teaspoon cumin
Salt and black pepper to mood that day

Combine in food processor, blend until paste.

But what’s the spice I’m missing???

No comments:

Post a Comment